The Dev Team has released a major update to it’s jailbreaking utility RedSnow that adds the capability for A5 devices to downgrade to lower iOS 5.0.1 version so that users can perform untethered jailbreak and enjoy the full potential of iOS experience.
The previous version of RedSnow was only able to downgrade A4 devices to lower iOS version and now those A5 iOS users who have saves SHSH blobs for their previous iOS firmware version 5.0.1 can enjoy the benefit of jailbreak as well.
- You cannot downgrade without the personalized SHSH blobs for your device at that lower firmware. You need to have fetched those blobs while the signing window was open, using either Cydia’s built-in TSS@Home feature, or with TinyUmbrella. The new Restore screen of redsn0w lets you choose either remote blobs or local ones (for the earlier firmware). If you don’t know where TinyUmbrella put your blobs, TinyUmbrella has a button that will show you (copy them out of that folder and feed them to redsn0w).
- The A5 downgrade method actually updates to the latests firmware before downgrading to the earlier one. This process updates your baseband to whatever is newest. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IF YOU RELY ON UNOFFICIAL UNLOCKS of your iPhone 4S. Those who used the temporary SAM technique to unlock their iPhones to specific SIMs shouldn’t be affected by this baseband update.
- This method can be fixed by Apple with a firmware update. It’s a (pleasant) mystery why they haven’t fixed it yet, because reverse-engineering of the restore ramdisk indicates they do know about it. It’s possibly too niche to bother to fix right now.
- The least-tested devices with this method are the iPad2,3 and iPad 3,2 (because we don’t have those models). If you do and feel like experimenting, please let us know how it turns out in the comment section below!
- This update involves a bunch of new redsn0w code. We recommend sticking to the previous 0.9.10b8b unless you’re specifically using this new feature, until all the bugs are worked out! (Note: If redsn0w gets stuck at the “Waiting for device” stage for more than 30 seconds, you’ve hit a pesky GUI bug…that will be fixed in an upcoming version!)
Following are the direct download links :-
Download RedSnow 0.9.11b1 Windows [Link]
Download RedSnow 0.9.11b1 Mac [Link]